Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Kaleidoscope of Butterflies #14


Did you know that a group of butterflies is called a kaleidoscope? 
(If not...well, now you do). 

Time to link up kaleidoscope or butterfly designs, butterfly fabrics, photos of real butterflies in any stage, events for habitat restoration or pollinator release. Let's see what we can do to emphasize the importance and beauty of these insects.

This month I'm going to show some new butterflies  (above) I started to use up some 4.5 and 3.5 scraps plus some white on white bits and pieces.  

I'm using a free "Wing It" pattern; however, I modified the instructions so I could use 4.5 and 3.5 scraps. 


As for kaleidoscopes- I've been working on a more subdued version from my previous kaleidoscope quilts. As you can see it is made from men's shirts and a variety of gray solids I had on hand. 


These are 10 inch blocks and I use a kaleidoscope ruler to cut the pieces. 

I'm aiming for a twin sized quilt (70 x 90) so I guess I had better start counting up blocks because I have a pile of them now. 


And because I'm terrible at putting things away (like shirt bits and pieces) I decided I would cut any shirt pieces too small for a kaleidoscope into pieces for the above blocks to make...

...For the Boys by Jen Kingwell (found in her book Quilt Lovely). 
I'll be making my version in brown and blue instead of brown and tan. And I'll be making my version a little larger  - closer to twin sized. 

Any shirt pieces after that get cut into 2.5 or 1.5 strips and get thrown into those respective scrap boxes. Plus I cut a few postage stamps and some 3.5 squares.  I guess I'd rather cut than put away. 

As for attracting butterflies...it will soon be time to start some flower seeds here in the Midwest.  Here's a plant list in case you are interested in attracting a few butterflies yourself. I'm retired now so I might actually keep my flowers weeded so I can show some decent (weedless)  pictures of my flowers and butterflies later on this year.  Actually...truth be knowns...several "weeds" attract butterflies. It's true! Read the plant list! 



16 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

thanks for sharing the "wing it" pattern... I couldn't save it on Pinterest so I printed it off... not planning to use it yet but will in the near future I think as I really do like it! :) Kathi

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You're retired! Congratulations! Here's to more butterfly blocks, gardening, and whatever suits your fancy!

Robin said...

Love the colors in the gray and plaid quilt. Wish I could sew those centers as well as you do.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first day of retirement! I would imagine it was wonderful to get up this morning and not have to go to work. I like your plaid blocks, especially the for the boys blocks. I have that book, but hadn't paid much attention to that quilt, but after seeing your plaid blocks, now I like it more.
Valerie
valekort at yahoo dot com

Ann said...

So much to say. Love your new butterflies. I think I'll make some, too. Next. Love the shirting material. I've been saving some of my husband's old shirts but they aren't as patterned. Still I need to try this. And using all the scraps from the beginning for one of two blocks is perfect.Thanks!

Ann said...

PS. Congratulations on your first full day of retirement!

Linda said...

Happy retirement ! Can't imagine how much more sewing and how many more beautiful quilts you will turn out now that(theoretically) you have more time in your day. If you are like me and every other retire person I know, you will wonder wher each day has disappeared to!
More lovely ideas and blocks - I always find your posts so inspiring. Here in our corner of New Zealand we have lots of monarch butterflies, due to many neighbours growing Swan Plants which apparently monarchs love.

em's scrapbag said...

Enjoy your retirement! Love your kaleidoscope quilt as well as For the Boys.

Sally Trude said...

Happy retirement! I'm glad to see you are pacing yourself and only have three quilts going today.

gayle said...

Considering your usual speed, I figured you'd have finished at least five quilts on your first day! Glad you took it easy!
I keep thumbing through Jen Kingwell's book - I think it would be easier to list the quilts I DON'T want to make. (If there are any...) Glitter is my first love, but it's hard to decide what will be next. Love your For the Boys - the plaids are perfect!

Louise said...

Your butterfly blocks look like a great way to use various sizes of left over HSTs. I'm going to pull out some mine and play around a bit!

One of the most powerful memories I have from my childhood is the time we went to the Monarch butterfly gathering in an eucalyptus grove in central California. Millions and millions of beautiful black and orange wings...it amazed and delighted me

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love both of your repurposed shirt projects--the plaids look especially great with the grey solids!

Ellen said...

I really like that For the Boys pattern! You come up with so many great quilt ideas!!

Kaja said...

Congratulations on reaching retirement - lots more sewing time now! I like the new butterflies a lot and love what you are doing with the shirts (I'm in a shirt frame of mind at the moment).

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful butterfly blocks! And I love that Jen Kingwell pattern, too!

Susan said...

Love those butterflies!