Sunday, October 30, 2016

Take the Cure


I only have two more feathers to quilt with perle #8...

...and then I have to decide what to quilt in between all of those feathers.  I've had lots of great suggestions. 

I haven't had much quilting time lately. My husband had major surgery on Sep 29 which left him unable to walk, eat or talk for awhile (they replaced his mandible with his fibula) but is recovering nicely.  I took a week off of work to nurse him through that first week and while he was sleeping I sat near him and did a little hand quilting to bide my time.  When I went back to work I found that the nuts in charge had gone completely mad so when I got home from work I tried to pick up a little hand quilting to keep from going mad myself.   I have had to do my husband's chores around the house now  on the weekends and after work (he's retired and pretty much does the cooking and cleaning and laundry, etc) so I sneak in a little hand quilting at day end to keep myself from falling asleep before it's bedtime.   I'm still cleaning up the gardens without my husband's help and processing the last of the brussel sprouts and broccoli (yum...broccoli cheese soup), picking the last of the squash and pumpkins, peppers and tomatoes...and to me that is as much fun as hand quilting! 

So although my life seems nothing but slow these days I make sure to take time for myself and do a little hand stitching to keep myself sane and healthy and calm and rested (and I might have something to show for it one of these days). 

Take the cure!

11 comments:

Jean said...

I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. You are an inspiration too other caregivers. I'm still picking broccoli. Am waiting for a hard freeze before picking kale as that makes it sweeter. Black walnuts are in the house for another year, and I'm cracking them for orders. Blessings.

Karen said...

An unusual design. So very interesting.

Julianne said...

Hang in there Cathy, glad to hear that you are taking some time for yourself, hugs to you and your hubby!

Quilting Babcia said...

Good to hear that your husband is recovering well, and that you're taking care of yourself too. Gardening is fun, but quilting holds first place in my heart. Though it is nice to see all those basement shelves filled with canning jars, squash and potatoes now that the work is over and done for another season!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love working in the yard and garden too as much as quilting. Although it wears you out it still feels so good especially when we get to harvest some wonderful vegetables. So glad to hear your husband is progressing well. I can't imagine what he has gone thru. Amazing what they can do these days. Enjoy your me time in the garden or under a quilt!

Ann said...

I'm so glad your husband is on the mend. Fall is a busy time for yardwork but broccoli cheese soup is a wonderful reward.
I've always loved those feathers. Congratulation on yours.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Your feather quilt is do fun--I'll be watching to see what you do between them. I hope your hubby continues to do better every day--take care!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Stitching while your husband recovers sounds like a great way for you to keep sane while you are busy with all the care giving. Love those feathers!

Janie said...

Wow, you're so encouraging to me.
You've found what's real.
God Bless!

Quilter Kathy said...

Loved reading your post and hearing about the ways in which stitching can be helpful!
You certainly have had a stressful fall season... hope the stitching helps to keep you sane!

Summer said...

Glad that hubby is recovering well♥