Sunday, October 23, 2016

For Tom


Quilt of Valor for my brother-in-law, Tom. 

54 x 72



It's the third of three QOV quilts for family members who are veterans. I want to surprise them on Veteran's Day. Now I just need to remember to get them in the mail. 


I was going to make a Disappearing Four Patch for Tom's quilt but when Alycia posted a block for this year's QOV block drive designed by Jan O of  The Colorful Fabriholic I made a few of these nine inch blocks for the drive (speaking of getting things mailed...yikes, I see the envelope of them still sitting here) and decided to make lots more for Tom's quilt. 


These blocks are quick, easy and fun and I love the layout although I think there are endless possibilities for these blocks. 

I quilted it with loops and stars on my DSM using blue thread in the dark sections and white thread in the light sections of the quilt. 


Bound and washed it is oh so crinkly and soft. 


The back is a 100% silky cotton with stars - a sheet from the thrift store that was in excellent condition.   (Oh,, what sheets these people must have at home to sleep on if these are what they take to the thrift store). 

You can see the pattern on the back too since I used blue thread in sections and white thread in others. 


A big thank you to all of our Veterans! 


Today I'm linking to:



17 comments:

Angie said...

Great block & a wonderful finish!

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Beautiful quilt. I'm sure Tom will be thrilled.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the way you laid those blocks out! They really do seem like very useful blocks to make different patterns out of. The variety of red, white, and blue fabrics you used makes this quilt just beautiful! I bet your brother-in-law is going to love it.

Kate said...

A wonderful QOV! Love the stitching, the back looks pretty cool too. Congrats on reaching one of your Q4 Finish-a-Long goals.

Vic in NH said...

Thanks for sharing all the links and tips for making something similar to this wonderful quilt of valor. You are so productive even with all that is going on in your family. Be very proud.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on a terrific finish! I'm sure it will be very appreciated by the veteran!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful quilt! When I first saw this block on Alycia's blog, I didn't see the potential. But the quilts I have seen made from them have all been amazing. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh what a beauty! The fabrics and quilting really take it over the top. Love the assymetric layout too!

Kat said...

Very cool block design, I love the way this came out!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a wonderful surprise for your relatives who are veterans! I made a couple of blocks for Alycia's drive, but will now have to consider making an entire quilt. Yours turned out SEW well!!!

Quilting Babcia said...

Your quilt is fabulous, I'm sure Tom will love it. Thanks for sharing the link to the block design.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I love your quilt, and you're right about these blocks having so many possible layouts. Thank you for using my block.

Monica said...

No wonder you ran with this pattern -- that is a good looking quilt! I'm sure Tom will love it. Nice finish!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is gorgeous!! I showed it to the quilters that were sewing with me yesterday - you got a lot of Ohhhs and Ahhhs - so well done!!!

gayle said...

He's gonna love it, because it's absolutely gorgeous! I thought it was an interesting block when I first saw it, but I had no idea how dramatic it would look!

---"Love" said...

That quilt is incredible! A fitting tribute for sure! ---"Lovbe"

Kaja said...

I really like this layout a lot - it's made a really strong, dramatic masculine quilt.