Saturday, April 9, 2016

Orange


Orange is the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I've been making these stars each month from miscellaneous scrap pieces.  I found I was very low on light orange but made it work best I could. I'm challenging myself to actually use scraps and nut cut into anything except for the background.   The background was in my brown stash but with the oranges it sure looks dark orange now.  


The rest of this week's blocks are from the 4.5 inch scraps. 
I made a chevron block plus had some leftover 4.5 HSTs for the "kitchen sink" pile.  I only needed one more orange chevron for my yellow and orange row. 


I made some of these 4.5 inch "things" which seem to have a lot of different layout possibilities from what I've seen in books and in blog land.  At the end of the year I will have a rainbow of them and decide what to do with them then.




And finally from the 4.5 scraps I made some Flying Geese.  If the color of the month is a secondary color I use primary colors for the sides - also from the 4.5 scrap box. 

Got scraps?

21 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That orange star is magnificent! I liked examining all the different fabric you used. The bunnies are my favorite.

Deb A said...

Wow - that star is awesome in orange. Great job using up those scraps.

Peggyinno said...

What a great star to add to the others. I cannot wait to see these all together. You've been VERY busy this week. Lots of beautiful blocks!

gayle said...

Oh my! I am BARELY holding myself back from starting my star quilt, and I mean barely as in hanging on by one fingernail, and here you are flashing the most gorgeous possible star block in the entire universe...
All your other blocks are fun, too - can't wait to see the quilts you make from them!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the way you blend primary and secondary colors in your sequential blocks - SO effective. Love looking through your scraps each week!

em's scrapbag said...

I love your wide variety of scraps. Isn't it funny how a fabric will take on a different hue depending on what it is next to?

Sally Trude said...

Your star is an orange marvel. At first I was blown away by all the bright oranges but then realized it was the background fabrics that were really making the others shine.

Sue Noetzel said...

Your star block is terrific! I admire your dedication to using scraps. I have to admit that I didn't have much in the way of orange scraps so I did cut some strips from yardage so I could make more blocks.

Jennifer said...

your star is great- and very well pieced! I like your wide assortment of oranges- it's a very varied color, isn't it?

Cathy said...

Everything you do is drool-worthy and inspirational, but that star in orange is simply drop dead gorgeous!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those "Chunky Pinwheels" are so unusual. I think they are going to make a REALLY cute quilt!!

LA Paylor said...

there must be a vibration all around your home!

cityquilter grace said...

love what you are doing with your scraps...how fun! I am making that star quilt too, mine in civil war repros with a pink background, but I do love orange!

PaulaB quilts said...

Those THING blocks look so nice with the b/w backgrounds, colorful but not too busy. They also look very easy. The other blocks are coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, impressive star! You've accomplished a lot already!

Rebecca in AK said...

I love that star! Do you have a name for this block? Where did you find the pattern? I am making Dresden flowers for RSC.

Angie said...

Love that star - it looks like a challenge to piece! The rectangle "things" are still on my list - I should just jump in and make some - you keep coming up with interesting layouts for them!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That star is the most gorgeous block! I am also curious about how it is pieced. I always love seeing the variety of blocks you make!

Ivani said...

Great variety of blocks, but the orange star is shinning!!

Katie Z. said...

Your star is amazing! Nicely done.

Linda said...

What a wonderful selection of orange blocks you have made. The big star is amazing! I am intruiged by your 'kitchen sink' blocks. How did you make them? Love that wonky pinwheel look they have.