Monday, August 3, 2015

Get Real

Rabbits

"Generally by the time you are Real most of your hair has been loved off and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby."  - Margery Williams, Velveteen Rabbit. 

I've been wanting to make a baby quilt to go into the future generations hope chest with the book Velveteen Rabbit which is one of my favorites. 

I'm not very good at making up patterns so I hinted to Sally (The Objects of Design) that I would like to know how to make an upright bunny and she graciously made a tutorial. 

And so...I've made 5 Rabbits on their way to getting Real.   I didn't see the problem with the top right one until I took the photo. I guess he came down with a bout of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and his eye is about ready to drop out.  He must be on his way to Real. Do I fix it? Or leave it? 


One of the rabbits in the quilt will actually be made of this velveteen.  This is an old velveteen skirt of mine I made way back when I made all of my clothes. It's one of those things I've saved because the fabric was expensive and I was poor back then but splurged on the fabric with some birthday money. It hasn't fit for quite some time (because I'm loose in the joints and very shabby) but I've saved it for a Velveteen Rabbit.    The colors of the other rabbits in the quilt are inspired by the colors in this skirt.  I'm going to cut it up for one Velveteen Rabbit for the baby quilt and with the rest I think I will make a little stuffed rabbit.  

11 comments:

gayle said...

Awwww...
Such a sweet idea! Love the idea of using the velveteen for the rabbit block and for a rabbit.
What a wonderful gift for the next generation.

Julierose said...

This is so adorable--what a great idea--wonderful gift with the book and a rabbit, too.
hugs, Julierose

sophie said...

The book is one of my favorites from my own childhood. I love this idea. I would be tempted to make an actual velveteen rabbit to go along with the quilt and book––I saved this pattern for a Soft Woolen Bunny when I saw it last year ... wouldn't it be sweet made in velveteen?

audrey said...

Oh do leave the eye just as it is! It fits with the story.:) LOVE your Velveteen rabbit quilt idea. Very special!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh these are so cute! I am going to have to try at least one block! Too too cute!

Stephie said...

What a great idea! I'd leave the 'eye' as it is - I read it as his cheek and one of the half polkadots as his eye! A stuffed bunny from your skirt fabric would be a wonderful addition :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love that book!!!

Vic in NH said...

Ahhh, but will one of the rabbits be made out of a chocolate-inspired fabric? For a chocolate bunny? The whole quilt is too cute and will be much loved!

Sally Trude said...

Your bunnies are adorable. Your use of prints just blows me away. Your background fabrics are magic. You make those bunnies look like stuffed animals. Awesome!

Nana said...

This is absolutely darling. I would curl up with it now as I become loose in the joints and shabby. What an heirloom!

Ann said...

What an adorable present this will make! I love your plan to repurpose your velveteen skirt.