Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Heartstrings - A New Project and an Old Project



Over at the Heartstrings Quilt Project some members are working on making string quilts using black/whites and brights as our November project. 

I looked through my scrap bins and didn't have enough long strings for regular Heartstring blocks but I did find enough b/w short strings and some bright blues for some wonky log cabin blocks. So I will be quilting along with other Heartstringers in November.  So far I've made 6 - 9 inch blocks out of the 24 I need for a child sized quilt. 

I more or less followed the instructions at Mary's Quilts. 



And speaking of Heartstring quilts...


...I was surprised to see the Heartstring quilt I finished after a New Year's 2013 purple-centered quilt along and donated to Wrap-a-Smile...

(photo by Val Edwards on a Rotaplast mission)

...has made it's way to a patient in Cumana, Venezuela on a Rotaplast mission. 
Rotaplast performs surgeries on kids with cleft palate and cleft lip. Wrap-a-Smile provides each patient with a quilt. 

You can read more about the Cumana mission, Sunshine Online Quilt Guild, Rotaplast and Wrap-a-Smile at the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild blog. 


2 comments:

Julierose said...

I love how those spots of red spice up your WLC...really nice. Hugs, Julierose (P.S. still waiting for my 1/4" foot coming by Viking Longboat from Norway--grrrr)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

How exciting to see where your quilt ended up!! But I LOVE your idea for the log cabins instead of the strings.... Perfect!