Saturday, July 12, 2014

Red Tales from the Scrap Box


Red is the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. 
Every month I make 3-  12 inch Kaleidoscope blocks - one in color of month plus its color complement, one in the color of the month and the color from the previous month and one in just the color of the month.  I've been using crumbs for the block corners. 



I'm starting to really like how they all look together. 

It takes a lot of crumbs to make those triangles for the corners of the kaleidoscope but I actually managed to have crumbs left over for 4 - 6 inch blocks. And there were several 6 inch blocks left over from the kaleidoscopes. 

I made 3 - 9 inch butterfly blocks and 2 spares for the border. 

Here's some of my other blocks all laid out. I'm not sure if I'm going to put a blue sashing between blocks or not. 

And, finally, I made 23 - 3 inch spool blocks.  I've been making these since last year so need to take count. I want enough for a full size quilt.  I like big quilts and I cannot lie. 

Got Scraps?
Join us every ScrapHappy Saturday to show us what you've done with them. 
Gosh, there's some awesome and inspirational rainbow projects going on out there in blog land! 

11 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

My dear lady, you have been busy! I love your kaleidoscope blocks. Who knew red and yellow went so well together!? lol

Quilter Kathy said...

You should see me sitting here looking at your photos with a big grin on my face - such beautiful colour and great projects! I have the same situation with my spool blocks...need to figure out how many I have and how big this quilt is going to become!

Nell's Quilts said...

That kaleidoscope quilt is going to be fantastic. I love that you chose blue for the background on the butterflies. What a happy looking little grouping. What a joy to view your projects!

Angie said...

Everything looks great, but the kaleidoscope blocks are amazing! Nice to see a glimpse of them playing together - too much fun!

Julierose said...

What lovely blocks; if I had to choose I saw the butterflies are my fave! Hugs, Julierose

Karen said...

You have very busy sewing. I love how the kaleidoscope blocks are coming together. This quilt will be awesome.

Quilting Nonnie said...

I love each of your different blocks. Lots of hours in making three different sets--wow! I'm a big quilt lover too. I have to keep telling myself that because others who make smaller quilts make more than I do. Everyone has their own likes. My goal is to have 4 quilts each for the two beds in our house. That way I can change the quilts every season.

LA Paylor said...

oh my word you've made a lot of read items!!! How fun. I think it's interesting how the black comes forward in the butterfly block instead of the bright colors... love quilting! LeeAnna
lapaylor.blogspot.com

Katie Z. said...

Wow! All your blocks are super great!

Andee said...

Very pretty projects! WOW!

Sheila said...

Awesome RSC blocks! Love all of them.