Saturday, August 11, 2012

Everyone Needs a Little Whimsy


I've started on some of my Christmas presents. I usually try to make everyone some fun pillowcases every year.



I've got Fancy Nancy for each of the 7yo granddaughters. We've checked many Fancy Nancy books out of the library and I've given them some Fancy Nancy First Readers for Christmas. 

My 3yo grandson loves Sponge Bob Square Pants. Who could ever think of such a name for a cartoon character and think it would be so popular? I, of course, thought it was stupid. But then I got to thinking about the cartoons of my day with cats beating up mice (Tom and Jerry), Porky Pig always trying to hunt down Bugs Bunny (or was he always after Daffy Duck?). Now that I think about it cartoons were pretty violent back then compared to Sponge Bob Square Pants. 


These are kind of a His and Hers for my oldest son and his girlfriend. Sean loved Kermit when he was little. He had a stuffed Kermit he carried everywhere. Kermit's eyes fell off and he got all beat up and must have one day made it to the garbage can but, even as beat up as it was, I wish I would have saved it for him. Don't ask me why. I guess I'm waxing nostalgic. Anyway...he gets the Kermit pillowcase and I was looking for Miss Piggy fabric for his girlfriend but then...would she take offense at having a Piggy pillowcase? I couldn't find the fabric anyway. So, her pillowcase is the ying to his yang.

These aren't as whimsical but my daughter and her husband love the great outdoors- fishing, mushroom hunting, etc..  So, they get some great outdoors fabrics for their pillowcases.

Hope the pillowcases bring a smile to their faces at Christmas. Everyone needs a little whimsy in their life now and then. There won't be many gifts this year since we all have met with hard times. But I'm sure we'll still have fun playing games...and we all collect freebies all year long to exchange with each other each year at Christmas. It's a competition now to see who can find the coolest free thing.

No comments: