Saturday, March 24, 2012

Free Motion Quilt Challenge - Flowers

This is my hotpad for March for the Free Motion Quilt Challenge at SewCalGal.  This month's tutorial was by Ann Fahl. and I chose to free motion some flowers on my hotpad. I used some variegated thread (I think Coat's and Clark's) I had on hand in shades of brown. 

Hotpad is filled with insulbrite and terrycloth and is 8.5 inches in size so my flowers had to be rather small. It was hard to quilt flowers on the fancy fabric I chose to use but this will be a hotpad for my brother who looks forward to my wild hotpads for Christmas.  Quilting flowers seemed appropriate. 


And what I was actually practicing flowers for was to finish this Sunbonnet Sue quilt that's been a WIP for too long. Blocks were from a swap on the Mailblocks Yahoo Group. I will need to buy some monofilament to stitch in the ditch along the borders framing each block and then find some thread to use as filler flowers around the Sues. 

1 comment:

Diane Wagner said...

I think your Sunbonnets are adorable. I hope to make one someday. Keep up the good work practicing your free motion quilting. Looking good!