Sunday, March 4, 2012

Buckeye Beauty - A Finished Quilt

Last year on the Block_ swappers Yahoo Group we swapped what were called "Buckeye Beauty units" quarterly. The units consisted of two HSTs and two 4 patches in fall colored (not necessarily themed) fabrics plus cream or tan. None of the fabrics could be repeated in the units. 

And so I just finished a Buckeye Beauty quilt this weekend and I'm linking up at "I Love a Good Swap"  over at Pigtales and Quilts.  Quilt measured 88 x 108 before binding. 

Closeup of some of the fabrics and blocks. 

I'm glad I went with the red binding because brown would have been too drab for me.  I don't have a long arm and am not too good at quilting other than straight lines but I got adventurous on my little Janome since I've taken the Free Motion Quilting challenge (see sidebar for link). I quilted some leaves in variegated thread since it is a fall themed quilt. My leaves come in all shapes and sizes and some are even a little deformed. And 15 bobbins later I'm a little deformed from sitting over the sewing machine. 

And here's a peek at the back. 

This year we are still swapping HSTs and 4Ps over on Block_swappers; however, we've divided it up into two separate swaps and the HSTs aren't fall themed anymore. I'll probably make a broken dishes or depression block quilt with the HSTs. I don't know about the 4Ps yet. 

No comments: