Sunday, August 21, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow? With a Surprise!


Some of my Favorite Things - Red

I've been making 30s tulips for the "How Does Your Garden Grow" sew-along over on Pigtales and Quilts and thought I would never make a hexie like some of the ladies in the sew along.  Never. Never ever. I do love hexies and the sew-along ladies make some gorgeous ones but those little things were not for me. Then I found Lily Quilts and her Hexalong. She is making BIG hexies.She's making BIG hexies and mixing it up a bit with patterns within hexies.  And I can handle that. Because at the same time I had been thinking somewhere in the back of my mind about rainbows and some of my other favorite things and then it struck me...I'll make a BIG Hexie lapquilt for winter with all the colors of the rainbow depicting some of my favorite things. And, when I'm snugly bundled beneath it on some cold winter day, well, then...how does the song go?...then I won't feel so bad.

And, if the DGKs (I really hope that means Darling Grandkids even though mine are sometimes dorky, daring, delightful and darn right nerve - wracking so take your pick on the D word) are over we will even be able to play a little "I spy" with it.

And I wonder why nothing ever gets finished around here...

6 comments:

Thearica said...

I love it!! So glad you tried your hand at the hexies... I always shied away from them too and then decided to just got for it!

krisgray said...

Breathtaking! I have to come back later and read your post but had to comment on your photo - lovely! Like the tomatoes , too - lol!

Laurie said...

I haven't done a hexi since the 70's! I'll have to do one again after seeing yours!

Teresa F. said...

Beautiful work. I love the reds, so vibrant!

Wendy said...

Hi Cathy, this is going to be beautiful!

Evy said...

I like very much this assembly, and the girl in the middle, a very attractive choice of colors also, it is magnificent!

Beautiful day