Saturday, July 30, 2011

Remembering Grandma

Grandma is the patient lady who taught me how to sew and embroider. I was lucky enough to inherit one of her quilts. I will try to fix it one of these days. The batting is bunched, some butterflies are pulled loose, some loose butterflies my aunt "fixed" by zigzagging around them instead of blanket stitching around them. And the fabric is foxing (turning brown and spotted). Before I fix hers I will make my own butterfly quilt using the same pattern. I don't care much for applique but I hope to get better as I go. I need 54 butterflies and now I have one. They will be made of 30s reproduction fabrics which always take my mind back to good times on the farm with grandma.

She's not curvaceous enough! I'll have to work on that with the next one.

While stitching I thought of grandma. She didn't have air conditioning either. I know now why she wore house dresses - air can circulate under there and through there. And, when worn out they can be cut up into nice quilts.

No comments: