Sunday, January 9, 2011

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt

I've always liked samplers. Back when I used to do a lot of cross stitch I usually made samplers. And, with quilting I have made several samplers. I guess you don't get bored doing the same thing over and over again. Well, anyway...I've started on a "Farmer's Wife Quilt Sampler" made in 30s reproduction fabrics. My side bar has a link to the book and blog. It's a very interesting book of letters and the quilt blocks inspired by them. Did I mention I like history too? I will post my blocks as I go and if the name of the block prompts me to write something as it relates to my life then I will write something.

I just started this weekend and I have 4 out of the 111 completed. I think it will be a long journey but hopefully there won't be any detours in the road.

Broken dishes. I like the secondary pattern of pinwheels you can see in this quilt. I've made a large broken dishes quilt out of fall fabrics and may make another someday.
Broken Dishes
When my granddaughters were 3 1/2 years old I invited a friend and her granddaughter (and daughter and mother) who had come to visit from Alabama to lunch at our house. I set the table with my collection of Cabbage Rose depression glass before our guests arrived and told the girls to stay away from the table so they didn't break the dishes. When the guests arrived granddaughter Kayla introduced herself and then proceeded to tell everyone to be careful and "don't break the dishes". We all had a fine lunch of quiche and strawberries from the garden. And no one broke any dishes.


Speaking of breaking dishes...the name of this block is "Broken Sugar Bowl". While I was making the block I wondered why in the world it had such a name. But now that I've put it on point I can see why.

Rainbow Garden.
That's what I strive to have. But I actually have a rainbow garden with weeds.

And finally...this one is called "Strawberry Basket". Again, you can't really see it until you set the block on point. I have a large strawberry patch. Last year we made strawberry jam that will probably last us the rest of our lives, ate a lot of them fresh from the garden and my husband made melomel which is a mead with fruit added. It's delicious but a few bottles exploded in the wine rack. Darn. And, if we gathered our strawberries in a basket I would think they would get punctured. I gather them in large plastic bowls. Did I mention that the deer eat a lot of them? Darn again.

No comments: