Sunday, December 3, 2017

Salmagundi Road



I finished the last 12 of 25 blocks for a quilt I'm now calling Salmagundi Road. 


The inspiration for this quilt came from a photo of a vintage quilt in the Jim Tharpe collection that Audrey of Quilty Folk posted. 

Next step is sashing. I'm not sure I have enough of the fabric I have in mind so not sure if I'll use several different ones or what. I'll probably make the sashing smaller than what is shown in the inspiration photo.

I like vintage quilts so made a block while I was inspired. I didn't need instructions. I just figured it out but asked if anyone knew the block name when I posted a pic of the first blocks I made. 

 Dot (aka abelian who is a no-reply blogger so I couldn't say thanks) left me a comment saying the block name according to Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia #1911 is Buffalo Ridge by Nancy Cabot or Grandmother's Fancy.   #1912 is Buffalo Ridge or Country Roads.   I think the only difference between #1911 and #1912 is the whether or not the block sashing is the same size as the quilt sashing.     Anyway...after I had a name I found the Country Roads pattern at Quilter's Cache if you want to make your own 

I was originally calling this quilt Blazin' Hot because those words appeared in the fabric in one of the blocks I made earlier and I had no better name at that time. 

Then Nann of With Strings Attached  commented on another one of my wild quilts that Gallimaufry or Salmagundi would be a good name for one of my quilts.  Ok, Nann...

Salmagundi Road it is!  You will see my Gallimaufry blocks in a couple of days. 


14 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely vintage-feel quilt blocks--you've chosen great fabrics to bring an older era to mind...very nice work hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Really like this one - especially your colors!

Ellen said...

Very nice rendition of the vintage quilt.

Linda said...

Great blocks and super colours. Interesting to see how different fabrics make the block look so different. For instance, in the block with red gingham squares the centre diagonal looks like a Jacob's ladder shape, in other colour ways the small squares are the first thing that jump out at you.

Jeanne said...

LOVE these colors!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I had to look up a definition of salmagundi and now I agree that works as a name! :) I really like the reds, yellows, and pinks together.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love these blocks, you have a real vintage vibe happening!

gayle said...

These blocks just knock me out every time. The block itself is fascinating, and your colors (and those plaids and stripes!) are gorgeous. Can't wait to see this one finished! (No pressure...)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wow, you sure don't waste any time. These blocks came together really quickly. Like Gayle, I can't wait to see this one finished either.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

mangozz said...

These blocks are still blazin' hot and smokin' too! I don't know how you manage to get so much sewing done. I've spent hours and hours today just pulling fabric, pressing it out and measuring and cutting....and did I say cutting? I will do some sewing tonight if it kills me!

Janie said...

A mixed salad indeed!
Or 'Country Road', nice choice of fabrics and great work.

Louise said...

The colors remind me of those photos of spice markets in exotic middle eastern locales :)

Mayleen said...

I agree, the colors you chose are wonderful but then again, red is my favorite color in a quilt! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Cathy said...

Be still my heart! I love the colors and the pattern. And like Diann, after I looked up the word, I agree it’s a perfect name!