Thursday, September 14, 2017

PREPARE: A New Flimsy, A Very Old UFO


PREPARE
68 x 88
It's now a flimsy. 

I made most of the jars for this quilt a loooooong time ago.  I knew I wanted to add a few words but I really don't enjoy free-piecing letters.  I know that because I've added words to a couple of other quilts I have in the hope chest - one has ships and stars and says "Don't set sail on someone else's star" and the other simply says "Get real".   Anyway...along comes the Ad Hoc Improv Challenge to add words to a quilt and out comes this old UFO.  And it now has words. 



Don't just duck and cover. 

You know, those "duck and cover" drills I went through in first and second grade scared the poop out of me.  Even at that young age I think I knew that a desk would not do me any good as protection if the commies decided to drop a bomb on us.  I even had doubts about survival in a Fallout shelter but for years and years wherever we went I made it my business to look for the symbol for a Fallout shelter so I knew where they were. 

Anyway...being scared about survival at a young age plus a few history lessons about Irish famines and Holocausts and Depressions have taught me to be prepared...to plan ahead.  I'm not one of those crazy type survivalists but I've learned to plant trees, split wood, cook on a wood fire, make clothes, sew by hand, darn socks, fish, raise and dress chickens and rabbits, forage, make wine and cheese and soap and jam and candles, bake bread from sourdough starter and continue the starter, garden and preserve the harvest by drying or canning, save seeds, identify some wild plants that are edible or poisonous or have medicinal uses...  I've learned to make do. 


Speaking of making do...
I ran out of black fabric to use in the borders and (since retirement have become a hermit that doesn't venture out much to even buy fabric) so used some glow in the dark eyes one one side (scary, huh? who's there? ) and some fabric that looks like kids have drawn on a chalkboard...


...above the chalkboard fabric I added a window with some zombies trying to get in and above that I "drew" (embroidered in glow in the dark thread) on the chalkboard reasons to prep (no matter how remote).  This is all in fun...kind of poking fun at myself, really.  (Can't you tell from some of those things I've got in the jars? )    I've tried to pass along some of this "plan ahead" mentality with my kids but they say if anything happens they know where to go - mom's house.   And I guess that's planning ahead, too. 


I wish my fabric was stacked as neatly on such flimsy shelves.  I think I might have to add a label on the flour jar.  I used a fabric I thought might look like wheat flour which is what I usually have on hand for baking and bread making.  

 I might have to label the sugar jar too. I used some white sparkly fabric for sugar. 
PREPARE
Don't just duck and cover

Now in the quilting pile. 

19 comments:

Ann said...

You have a warped sense of humor, Cathy. Zombie apocalypse indeed! The words make this quilt stand above the rest. Especially the glow in the dark writing on the chalkboard. I'm so impressed that your letters fit well in the border. Mine were fun but wandered around more in height.
I remember Duck and Cover drills and also thought they were useless. Even at that young age. I wish I could do all the things you list. Alas, only about half. I'll head to your house, too.

Danette said...

This is very creative! It got me thinking to stack up my own jars (on a quilt and in my house)! Love the zombies faces and chalkboard, too. I was a girl scout and I try to be prepared in life, also!

Quilting Babcia said...

Zombie apocalypse indeed! Too funny, I love this quilt, and the contents of some of those jars are surely essentials of life in a zombie-proof shelter! Yes, I remember the duck & cover drills at school too. Sigh!

gayle said...

Bacon!
I love the fact you've got everything from Brussels sprouts to Snickers bars. Very prepared indeed!

Linda said...

Wow, you have such a creative brain! And you are so practical. I am definitely on the back foot here. I can cook, sew ( to a degree), knit, crochet, have grown a few veggies, never canned produce, certainly do know what to do if I needed to "duck and cover" although I have an idea of what to do in case of an earthquake( through spending lots of time in New Zealand). Love your new quilt.

Janie said...

I always enjoy myself visiting here, Cathy. Your pieced words
look great on your quilt.
It's good to be prepared for 'life' and I like learning skills and new things for sure.
Keeping flexibility is an important survival skill, sometimes tough times come in unexpected ways.
It's not always the zombies or the bombs that sneak up behind you.

Sue SA said...

Great quilt, love your jar contents, I think the family will appreciate this and your sense of humour!

Crystal_235 said...

Love the quilt! I have plans to make an I spy jar quilt one day. Just need to collect enough fabrics for the jars.

Nicole said...

Hooray for progress made! You've also prepared for a cold night as well.

And I love your sense of humour about it.

mangozz said...

Congrats on another finish! You seem to have an awful lot of fabric for a hermit!

MissPat said...

Yup, you need to label the flour and sugar canisters. Great quilt.
Pat

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am with Gayle! Gotta have bacon :)

Very fun quilt!

PaulaB quilts said...

Love all the jar contents. They are exactly what you will need for the long haul. Your sense of humor always shines through.

margaret said...

your added words work well with the quilt loving all those jars best of luck sandwiching then quilting it neither of these processes I enjoy hence a large pile waiting to be done, hopefully the sandwiching will get easier with prractise, I live in hope!

Emily said...

I absolutely love this! You have possibly the best quilting sense of humor I've seen. I especially love that you are canning up Snickers and bacon and chocolate chip cookies!

My coworkers and I recently had a conversation about who we'd want "on our team" during any sort of apocalypse. I made the cut, mostly because I can sew and I can improvise when cooking, but you are much better prepared!!

Kaja said...

I like how your mind works!

Robin said...

Too delightful! I laughed out loud numerous times as I read you post. This quilt is so much more fun now that I know the ideas that made it come together. And, the bonus is that you finished an UFO. That should make you frightfully happy.

Ann said...

This was such a clever quilt I'm glad you linked it with AHIQ words. We all need a good laugh; you provided it today.

audrey said...

This is just an awesome quilt. LOVE your sense of humor! And I want the jar of snickers for when things tough.:)