Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Time to Think About Filling in the Holes


I've been spending most of my time getting the garden planted but it's raining today. 
So I just finished about 20 more of these blocks that use my farm and garden themed fabrics.  I have a big pile of them now so it's time to decide on how to fill in the "holes" and how big I want the quilt to be and to decide whether or not I want borders. 

I've slowly been making the quilt "House Party"  from Kathy Doughty's (of Material Obsession) book Adding Layers.   Her version finishes at 84 x 84 and has those 10 inch wide borders with applique.  Those applique shapes don't fit my theme, I'm not an applique person, I don't have anything in my stash I can use for borders that wide, do I want a quilt that big?   Decisions, decisions.  

I actually think I will skip the border (not a definite decision) and make it a little longer.  I don't think I want this as a big bed sized quilt and without borders it will be 64 x 64.   If I add another row at the bottom it should end up to be about 64 x 80. 

Right now I'll concentrate on what to put in the center of the blocks and get some of those finished. 

Oh, and my quilt is definitely not a House Party...I was thinking it was more of a Garden Party but then I added in some farm fabrics so I'm thinking my quilt is more of a Barn Dance than a House Party. 


Back to the center of the blocks...rehearsing fabrics like this...

...and this...


...and this...

17 comments:

audrey said...

Whew! This one's going to have a wild look! Love it!

Julierose said...

Love the veggie and flowery centers--a Nature riot...hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Whatever you choose will be great, I'm confident! What a fun idea!

Ariane said...

I love the blocks! I'm not very good at knowing how to use big print fabrics in the front of my quilts. I usually use them on the back. I would tend to go with something with a smaller print that reads more as a solid, like a black or a dark green. They would really make the blocks pop. But, like I said, I'm a chicken when it comes to using those large prints. lol! You are so talented and make such amazing scrappy quilts, that whatever you chose is going to look amazing!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love how this is coming along!

Linda said...

Looking great.

---"Love" said...

Like Ariane, I probably would choose something that reads more like a solid, maybe in a color that could be pulled out of the surrounding blocks. It for sure will be an interesting quilt. ---"Love"

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like the idea of no borders and 64" x 80" ish size. For the centers, I like the large fussy cut KF-type flowers but not the framed in veggies or the other one. Don't all barnyards and gardens have flowers in them somewhere? I know our Amish neighbors in Indiana deliberately planted flowers in the veggie gardens for beauty and for bug control.

Louise said...

Kind of a Hoe Down! I like the KF florals for the centers. But then again, I like KF florals just about everywhere...

margaret said...

this looks so complicate to me but what a great quilt you will have when your holes are filled in.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm with Julie - add an extra row but leave off the borders. Flowers and veggies go together perfectly, you have a wonderful assortment of fabrics in this quilt and the pattern is one of my favourites from Kathy's book.

Vic in NH said...

Such colorful and whimsical combinations, wheee!

gayle said...

Love the Barn Dance! Enjoy playing with all the fabric contenders for centers! Such fun!

Robin said...

I like that you have made the quilt your own with the fabrics you have chosen. Barn Dance might look cute with some red and white check (think gingham) in all those holes. Just a thought.

Kate said...

Barn Dance is a perfect name for your project. Love all your garden themed fabrics. It's so bright and fun!

Ann said...

I love all your conversation prints and I would use those large-scale ones in the centers. Such a lively quilt and just your style.

Kaja said...

I like that you are trying out big prints in the centres of your blocks - the first one is my favourite - and all those vegetable/farm prints too.