Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Marginalia: Getting it Together


My Marginalia (Quilty 365/6)  needed 12 more blocks for an 18 x 22 layout.  What to do? What to do?  I found a remnant in my stash that looked like it had handwriting on it to make my circles. Then I used an ABC stencil from my scrapbooking stash and a fabric pen to put each letter of MARGINALIA on a circle.  The HSTs were all fabric that looked like doodling on a chalkboard.  


I wish this was one of those "no assembly required" things but it's not. (I love piecing but hate the boring task of sewing together rows and columns).  I have four of the 21 rows assembled and from now on it will be my JOT (Just one Thing) to work on a little bit every day after work until I'm bored with it which will probably be after one row is sewn together or before. 

Oh, in case you were wondering about the two extra blocks I needed for my layout...(I said I needed TWELVE more blocks and MARGINALIA is only ten letters)...they will be at the end. 

At least I didn't have to worry over a layout...they are going together in date order
 Nov 4, 2015 - Nov 3, 2016. 
But I will have to worry about how to quilt it. 


7 comments:

gayle said...

I love that Marginalia across the top! Brilliant! And perfectly suited for the quilt!
No ideas on quilting, though I'd be tempted to hand quilt it. All the hand work it's got in it so far seems to call out for a hand work finish. (Don't listen to me. I think all the quilts should be hand quilted...)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Another winner in the making. I've loved watching you make the blocks - now it will be fun to watch the top evolve. (I'm with you - assembling the blocks into a top is one of my least favorite steps unless it is a make-it-up-as-you-go project).

Béa said...

Wow very beautiful idea ! I saw so wonderful tops for this Quilty 365 around the world.

Quilting Babcia said...

This quilt is going to be so fabulous. I love your idea for naming the quilt right across the top. I think many of us have decided to hand quilt our Quilty 365 versions since there is already so much handwork in them. Slower finish but so enjoyable reliving those special days when we stitched the perfect circle for our hopes and dreams, and even the mundane.

Julierose said...

this is a beautiful quilt--love the writing on the front of each circle--great idea hugs, Julierose

audrey said...

I've always loved seeing your quilty 365 progress! So much character.:) I'm like you, the putting together of rows and columns is so boring!! Wish I had little sewing helpers at that point. lol

Ann said...

How beautiful this is turning out. You are so clever to come up with Marginalia and the script fabric behind those letters. Are you putting your initials on the two at the end? (Just guessing)