Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A Kaleidoscope of Butterflies



Kaleidoscope of Butterflies
It's just a top for now
80 x 80


It consists of 64 ten inch blocks
Each block has a floral and a butterfly fabric and corners of old blue florals



I just sewed the blocks together in sort of a random order. I separated the blocks into even piles of blocks with dark fabrics forming an X and dark fabrics forming a + then I just alternated sewing X blocks and + blocks together into rows of 8.

Last year I found out that a group of butterflies is called a kaleidoscope so thought it would be great fun to make a kaleidoscope of butterflies quilt so I can enjoy butterflies all year long. 

This is my third kaleidoscope quilt so the ruler is finally starting to pay for itself.  All of the kaleidoscope quilts I've made are different and I still have one kaleidoscope quilt UFO that is even different yet using men's plaid shirts and gray solids (for now but that may change later to any gray).  


This was the kaleidoscope quilt I finished in 2015. 
80 x 92
It consists of 12 inch blocks with crumb corners and crumb borders. The wedges consist of 6 - 1.5 inch pieces.  I quilted a spiral in each block on my DSM. I thought the crumbs kind of simulated those little pieces you see in a kaleidoscope before the design forms.  I just randomly sewed the blocks together. 

This is the kaleidoscope quilt I finished earlier this year. 
80 x 80
These were 8 inch blocks with solid corners and wedges made up of 2 - 2.5 inch fabrics. I quilted it on my DSM with all over spirals. For the layout I tried to follow the colors of the rainbow starting with red in the lower left side and rotating around clockwise to the violet in the lower right side.. 



Now it's your turn to share any kaleidoscope or butterfly related quilty progress or pics of actual butterflies you've seen while out and about.  




7 comments:

Marly said...

Having seen your kaleidoscope quilts and Ann's too over the last year, I absolutely have to make one for myself. I have a paper piecing pattern, but you mentioned a ruler, which I would much rather use. Could you tell me about the ruler, as I've never seen one to use for kaleidoscopes?

Quilter Kathy said...

Your kaleidoscope quilts are unbelievably amazing! Each one is gorgeous!
Maybe I'll have to get myself that ruler!!

gayle said...

You're the reason I bought a kaleidoscope ruler! And thank you forever for that, because I've had a ridiculous amount of fun with it!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh those are so beautiful! Glad that ruler has paid for itself - ha ha!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

All beautiful - I especially love the one you finished in 2015, very striking.

Ariane said...

These are all gorgeous quilts. Your butterfly and flowers top is gorgeous too. So many beautiful quilts.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Wow--every quilt is more fun than the one before--love them all!!