Friday, August 5, 2016

Two Wonky Log Tops


High as a Kite
Have a Heart

Two Wonky Log Tops

Back Story:
Carol who blogs at Giraffe Dreams offered up a box of scraps for free.  We both belong to the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild - a Yahoo Group that makes donation quilts for Wrap-A-Smile and Quilts Beyond Borders.   I usually have enough scraps of my own to sew with but thought I'd take her up on her offer. I told her it might actually be awhile before I used the scraps because all in one week I found out my son-in-law had leukemia, my granddaughter had lyme disease , my husband had a broken jaw and my oldest son lost his job.  She said that was okay- the scraps were mine to use when and how I wished.   Then last Friday the big box of scraps arrived and I dug right in and started sewing with them. Mindless sewing is just what the doctor ordered to take the mind off of all the family matters when I'm not working or watching grandkids or gardening.  Plus I challenged myself to see how many quilts I could make out of Carol's box of scraps (mixed with some of mine).  Even when mindless sewing I still like to have some sort of challenge going on.  So far the count is two. 

Have a Heart
40 x 58


 Carol sent some blue and purple strings so I combined those with mine.  I cut some 2.5 inch heart fabric centers from a red scrap and made some 9.5 inch Wonky Log blocks around the centers.  After I sewed the blocks together I added a 2.5 inch border sewn log cabin style all around to bring it up to the size I usually donate. 


High as a Kite
40 x 60


For these Wonky Logs I used the same kite fabric for the 6.5 inch centers and made fifteen 12 inch blocks. I sewed them together 3 x 5 and then added 2.5 x 12.5 inch strips to the sides to make it 40 inches wide. 

I hope to finish ONE of these quilts this month as my OMG (One Monthly Goal)
 hosted by Red Letter Quilts. 


and 

and


19 comments:

Jean said...

Beautiful quilts with very creative ideas. Praying for you and your family challenges. Quilting was my stress buster when I was caring for my husband.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying what the OMG means. I've been trying to figure that out. Prayers for healing and strength for your family!

Vic in NH said...

So sorry to hear of so many serious issues that you're dealing with there and sending prayers out to all your family. As always, the quilts look so cheery!

gayle said...

I really really love both those quilts, and I'm glad you found some comfort in the making of them. Hoping all good things for you and yours.

Julierose said...

Just lovely quilts--they just vibrate with colors...hugs, Julierose

Angie said...

I love how these turned out! Log cabin stitching is such soothing fabric therapy!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

So sorry about the difficulties your family is experiencing right now. I am glad you are able to find some solace in your quilting.

Emily said...

Such beautiful quilts to come out of a difficult time for you. I hope all goes well with your family.

Kaja said...

Like everyone else I hope your family's troubles start to lift soon. I'm all for quilting as displacement activity!

Shannon said...

I love those quilts. So easy, but very fun. I have a question, did you piece the blocks by cutting the pieces first to fit right were you wanted the pieces to go, or did you sew the piece on and then trim to fit? I hope that makes since.

Sarah Craig said...

Wonderful quilts, Cathy, and a lovely use of scraps. Sorry to hear about your family problems, but isn't it nice to have quilting to lose yourself in? I'll be praying of your and yours...

Tami Von Zalez said...

Great use of color in your wonky log quilts ~

Nicky said...

I know how that is when you need some relief from family worries and mindless sewing is just the ticket. Hope that everyone improves and you can continue stitching from joy and celebration. Two lovely tops for charity and hopefully more to come! Thank you for joining up with #scraptastictuesday!

Louise said...

These are lovely! Will you quilt them yourself?

I'm glad that the box of scraps was inspiring to you and you were able to dive in and get some sewing done. Sometimes in the face of so many sad things going on in your family, a sense of accomplishment toward a worthy goal can give one strength. I hope things improve very, very soon for you and yours!

June D said...

How great that you were able to distract yourself by creating these wonderful quilt tops! I'll try to follow your lead. Sending you good thoughts.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They are so very beautiful! Loe the pink hearts - you are amazing!

julieQ said...

Your quilts are just awesome! I love your wonky log cabin...thank you for sharing!

Quilter Kathy said...

You are magic with scraps... amazing quilts from the scrap bags of two quilters!
Hope all the family worries are being resolved and improved!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

love the colors.....