Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Sew Along with Heartstrings

There's been a virtual sew along this weekend with the Heartstrings Quilt Project. Center strings were to be brown and we were stitching together blocks and tops that were "manly looking" for wounded warriors and veterans. 

 My string bin is pretty empty and I'm down to sewing mostly with crumbs; however, I did manage to pull together some brown, blue, gray, black, cream colored strings - enough for 48 blocks.  I did have to purchase some brown for the centers because I didn't have much of that in my stash.
I completed the top and didn't stop there. I added 3 inch borders, sat this achy old body (aka fat butt) on the floor to pin baste it, then proceeded to quilt it on my DSM with some wavy lines and stars. 
  There was a lull in the rain so I was able to find a dry place on the deck to take a photo of the completed quilt.
 It still needs to be washed to get some crinkly goodness.


The backing was pieced as an offset four patch using cocoa Kona I had in my stash (leftover from my Chocolate Dresdens) and some fabric I found on sale at Fabric.com and had delivered in time to use for this quilt. I think it is kind of camouflage looking.   The quilting isn't puckered....that's just crumpled a bit near the large star and that's a fold in the fabric I didn't iron out very well.  It all should come out in the wash.  I have to admit I'm no whizz when it comes to freemotion quilting but I wanted to get this finished and out of here.

Then I made a couple of pillowcases/presentation cases.   The bacon trimmed one goes with the brown. The red/pinwheel one goes with another top (not heartstrings) I need to finish. 

A big thank you and a hug goes to all who have served so bravely. 

So, that's what WAS on my design wall and now is off of it. 
To see what others are up to this day visit Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times. 

7 comments:

Barb in Mi said...

Wow, you sure got a lot done! Blocks, top and then quilted - you are incredible! Congrats on a finish!

Mary Johnson said...

It looks great Cathy, I'm going to share the photo of the finished quilt on the HeartStrings site, thanks for sewing along with us!

Mary Johnson said...

It looks great Cathy, I'm going to share the photo of the finished quilt on the HeartStrings site, thanks for sewing along with us!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It looks wonderful - and the bacon on the pillowcase - priceless!!

Quilty Conscience said...

It looks great! I'm sure a deserving person will get this and love it to pieces. Toni

Anonymous said...

Cathy you did a super job on that quilt. Spending the amount of hours I do at the VA, that quilt will certainly make some tough Marine (or other branch) vet cry tears of joy. What a great gift.
blessings, jill

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Wow... you had a VERY productive weekend! I am hoping to make a dent in my string bin next month making some Heartstrings blocks.