Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It's For the Birds Blog Hop




I'd like to thank Mary, of I Piece 2 - Mary and Madame Samm of Sew We Quilt for all their work organizing this "It's For the Birds" blog hop.  I've managed to make a few Christmas gifts with a bird theme that I'd like to show off today. 

OWLS



My first project is an owl themed lap quilt made up of some novelty owl fabrics and fall fabrics from my stash. Blocks measure 12 inches. Finished quilt is 48.5 x 60.5 and the pattern I used is called "Feed Sacks" from "Scrap Basket Surprises" by Kim Brackett.  It was quick and easy to assemble. 



I had to piece the backing because I didn't have as much of the bird themed fabric I thought I had! 


I free motion quilted some leaves on my DSM. (Yes, they are supposed to be leaves!)  I'm not quite sure WHO will get this as their Christmas gift....WHO? WHO? 


CHICKENS


I have a large collection of both old and new embroidery transfers. I don't remember where I picked up "Barnyard Happenings" but I love to embroider dish towels for Christmas gifts. Sometimes I pick up a package of the cheaper flour sack dishtowels from Walmart and other times I use the heavier, bigger and a little nicer ones from JoAnn's if I have a coupon.  Either way...I prewash the towels before I stamp and embroider. 

Thursday is market day in the barnyard.  For gift giving I also make hot pads/potholders to go with the dishtowelss. I used some polka dots and chicken/rooster fabrics I had in my stash. It has a pocket so you can use with your hand inside if you wish. I used Insulbrite and an old towel for batting. Combine with a chicken kitchen magnet found on clearance and a crocheted dish cloth and I can cross someone off my Christmas list and it's only May! 

Monday is wash day in the barnyard. This time I'm showing the reverse side of a second potholder/hot pad made of the same fabrics and same way as the one above, another chicken refrig magnet and another crocheted dish cloth.  And, I can cross off another name from my Christmas list. 

I'd like to say thanks again to Mary, of I Piece 2 - Mary and Madame Samm of Sew We Quilt for their work in organizing such a fun blog hop and a goal to accomplish. This is only my second blog hop. 

Please visit the other blogs on today's It's For the Birds Blog Hop schedule for some bird themed inspiration.  I'm hoping to pick up a few more Christmas gift ideas! 



Wednesday, May 8 


60 comments:

apple blossom said...

nice quilt and love the dish towels

Judy B said...

What a cute owl quilt! Love your embroidered chickens, someone is going to be sew happy. Thank you for sharing.

Janet said...

Wonderful owl quilt. And I love the embroideries!!

jan said...

Cute owl quilt and i love the embroidery!

Martina said...

Great projects! Love the owlies in the quilt!

Nati said...

Very cute, thanks for sharing these lovely projects.

Patty C. said...

great fabrics

Frederika said...

So sweet your birds.
Thanks for sharing

charlotte said...

cute cute cute. Love those sweet little owls!

Unknown said...

Very cute owl quilt and love the embroidery..

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

I love the embroidery, and your quilt is great too.

Judy Cooper Textile Artist said...

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

I love the chickens! Thank you for sharing your wonderful projects.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

very nice

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

What a great assortment of bird projects.

Vickie said...

Great quilting on that super cute quilt, and I love the cup towels, as I do love chickens !

Sowing Stitches said...

What a nice little flock of feathered friends!

Sparky said...

beautiful photos....love your stitching...you brought out some lovely pieces

Emily C said...

Love your birds, esp. The days of the week towels. Very cute. If you sign up for emails from joanns, you get a coupon at least once a week. Usually 25-50% off one item, once in a while i get a % off my whole trip. Very nice for when i need some thread, beads, etc.

krislovesfabric said...

Fun projects here :)

Jeanie said...

Such a cute quilt to cuddle up in! Thanks for sharing... and the stitchery too!

Just Quilt It said...

Your owl quilt is adorable. I love all of the colors and prints you used. Great work. Also, I like the embroidery work. Lovely job on all of your projects!

Calicojoan said...

What a fun scrappy owl quilt!

Linda said...

Your quilt and chicken projects are certainly "for the birds"! Very cute!!! Great job!

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Loved your quilt!! Super cute creations!!

Carol Swift said...

Beautiful quilt and very nice FMQ on it...love it! Your little towels are so cute and remind me of the ones my grandmother used to have in her kitchen. :O)

Gwen said...

Nice projects! I love those chicken dish towels!

Mara said...

Well aren't you ahead of Christmas time, good job, love the embroidered barnyard chickens, and the owl quilt, very nice.

Linda C said...

I love the quilt but how neat is your embroidered dish towels. I bet people are happy to get that combination. Knit or crocheted dishcloths are the best anyway and the towel adds something pretty to the mix. Well done!

Unknown said...

Wonderful projects! Thanks for being on the hop!

Needled Mom said...

Very nice "bird" projects.

tink's mom said...

Wonderful kitchen sets.

Newbie Jen said...

I love how it looks like those birds are hiding in foliage in your quilt. Great job.

Patty said...

Wow!You have been busy. Someone is going to be so happy come Christmas.

Mary said...

Love your dish towels. Your embroidery is very nice. The quilt is so cute. Great job. Thank you for being part of the hop.

Katie M. said...

Love the owl quilt - all the foliage fabric just sets it apart!

sandra said...

Fun owl quilt a lovely Christmas gift. Your embroidery work is cute to, thanks for sharing

CharlotteT said...

Nice chickens! That is fun to do, love the towels for gifts.

Britt-Inger said...

Your owl quilt is wonderful. You have been a very busy woman. Thanks for sharing your creativity and being part of this hop

Denise said...

Lovely projects and your towels are adorable!

Suze said...

First, thank you for participating in the blog hop. I'm glad you are here and sharing your creativity. The owl quilt is adorable and I love the backing, including the piecing. You did a great job of free motion quilting. I took my third free motion class a couple of weeks ago and I just don't see it in my future. I am a perfectionist and I just cannot get the hang of it to suit me. I'm not giving up, yet! The same lady is teaching a walking foot class. Now, I'm excited about that one. I think I can do it. I have trouble seeing the designs in my mind. Thanks for sharing the great embroidery. I made a tablerunner for my brother and his wife for Christmas. I used Insulbrite and hope it does the trick for them. How do you put a pocket on your pot holders? That's a great idea. I hope to see you soon in another hop.

Sherry said...

Your owl quilt is so pretty and cheerful. I am a fan of embroidery and your towels are so sweet.

Kathy H said...

I love embroidered dish towels. Very nice.

Lou said...

Great job! Love the owl fabrics and the chicken dish towel is the cutest!

Pauline said...

Lucky is the one who gets this christmas present! Thanks for sharing.

lefuntz said...

I love the embroidery.

Jane's Quilting said...

How sweet. I remember my aunt embroidering chickens on dish towels, one for each day. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Very fun projects. Thnx !

Amy said...

Cathy,
Love your Rooster towels! I would love to get a Christmas present like that. Great work on the quilt too!

Patty said...

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing

Janarama said...

Somebody is going to be a happy camper at Christmas. Lovely projects.

LJ said...

I'm impressed with your gift making well on it's way to finish. Great ideas.

Lavonna ZWB said...

Lovely creations. Thank you for sharing them with us. :)

Michelle said...

Lovely projects! Thanks for sharing!

Gill said...

Great projects - I love your embroidery!
Thank you for sharing.

carla said...

Hi!!! Love your owl quilt!!! I love the Monday chicken!!!! Lots of wonderful gifts!!!!

newsurfiegirl said...

What wonderful fabric you used on your quilt! It looks great. Love your stitchery too. Thanks for sharing.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

What cute embroidered towels. I used to do that, now I am too impatient. I need to learn to slow down and slow stitch more.

Tricia said...

How wonderful to know that You have been able to not only take part in this blog hop but it enable you to knock a couple Christmas gifts off your list. I think that is very smart of you. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful birds with us and thanks for giving me the idea for a Christmas gift for my Daughter.

Sincerely,
Tricia

Pamela said...

You were wise to use owls. LOL Lovely job. Thanks for sharing!