Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Who Says Size Doesn't Matter?

I had written previously about working on blocks for the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt. The book said blocks were 6 inches; however, the book didn't say whether that meant finished or unfinished size. So, I printed a couple of templates, made a few blocks and measured. Each block was a consistent 6 inches unfinished. And so, although I figured I didn't even need templates if the blocks were to be 6 inches finished, I figured I did need them for the weird/unstandard size of a 5.5 finished block. And then I joined a FWS list and found people chatting about 6 inch blocks, yadda, yadda, yadda... The fear set in and so I asked on list just exactly if the blocks should be 6 inch finished or unfinished. And, wouldn't you know it...the answer was 6 inches FINISHED. Yikes! And when printing the templates a bunch of adobe boxes and printer boxes dealing with unscaling, yadda, yadda, yadda... had to be changed. Depressed, I let the blocks rest. I let my mind rest. I finally quit cussing. I started on a different project. And then...I decided I'm not a quitter and that 1/2 an inch was not going to get me down.  I have remade blocks to the correct size and I'm on my way again - 30s reproduction fabrics are being cut once again.

Who names these blocks? Some of the names I just don't understand!

Postage Stamp

Autumn Tints

Birds in the Air

Box.  (Why?- I don't get it!)

Calico Puzzle

Contrary Wife (Again - Why?)

Wrench.

Friendship Star

Basket Weave.

No comments: