Sunday, August 13, 2017

In The Hoop


The Roman Stripe postage stamp quilt (inspired by a vintage quilt on ebay) is in the hoop now.  

It's one of the hand work projects I took camping with me last week since the camper has a/c and my house doesn't.   Turns out we actually had to turn on the heat in the camper a couple of nights which is unusual for August in Iowa.  Anyway, in between games of UNO, Quiddler, Scrabble, treasure hunts, hikes, water balloon fights, campfires and some jewelry making at the family reunion camp out I managed to get some hand quilting done while just sitting around chatting and a little some nights before bed. 



I'm using yellow and navy perle #8 to do some big stitching - yellow in one direction and navy in the other.  You can hardly see the yellow in the picture but it's there.  I'll do some stitching in red in the sashing cornerstones after I'm finished with all the other hand quilting. 

And today, after I process some of the latest harvest -  tomatoes, green beans and broccoli (and maybe start a batch of sauerkraut fermenting from a bunch of LARGE cabbages) - I'll sit down and start hand quilting again because it's another perfect day in this neighborhood - low humidity and cooler than a normal August day in Iowa.  


Saturday, August 12, 2017

I'll Have Some Cream With My Snowballs


Neutral 3 inch Snowballs

More neutral 3 inch Snowballs. 

Just got back yesterday from a week's vacation ( if you call a family reunion camp out a vacation).   I made these before I left from my neutral scraps because neutral is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month. 

Thursday, August 3, 2017

A Really Old UFO Is Now a Top!


Florabunda (aka Jacob's Ladder in floral fabrics)
Inspired by a vintage quilt.
72 x90

It's a top! 


 I started making blocks around the same time - June 2011.   But I soon ran out of floral fabrics and yellow tone-on-tones.  
I decided to move forward on this old UFO since I've accumulated a few more  (most of these ugly and cheap remnants) floral fabrics over the years. 

I'm out of love with it now but that's no excuse not to finish it.  There's always a need for twin sized quilts and the blocks were not meant to be wasted.  (And I'm tired of all these boxes with unfinished quilts in them that take up space). 



If you look at the vintage version and Bonnie Hunter's version of Jacob's Ladder you will see that they are just a little bit different than mine; however,  both versions are made up of the same pieces - four patches and HSTs.    Orientation matters!



Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Kaleidoscope of Butterflies

X Stitch Butterflies on X stitch morning glories on stamped embroidery pillowcases. 

(Found long ago w/o embroidery at the thrift store for $2.50 so decided I might as well finish them and either use them, add to the grandkids' hope chests or give as gift). 


I'm pretty sure this is a Comma on that blade of grass. 

(Found on an evening walk through my gardens. )


Tiger Swallowtail on Joe Pye Weed

(Found on an evening walk through my gardens). 

Skipper on Lantana

(Found on my deck - one of many Skippers that were fascinated with the potted Lantana one afternoon while I was sipping on a margarita and munching on mango salsa and chips). 



Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Sashing of Grandma's Apron Strings


I finished the last of the 42 blocks I need for Grandma's Apron Strings (previously called Someone's In the Kitchen with Dinah until I decided on sashing and changed the name of the quilt). 



I had decided to try some chicken scratch for the sashing and so embroidered enough pieces for 17 sashings.   This morning I decided before I went any further with the embroidery that I should try it out and see if I like it. 


I like it but unfortunately my chicken scratch shrunk up the gingham piece a little so my carefully planned 9.25 piece of sashing is just a little too small.   I tried to starch and stretch it into submission but I think it will be a little too short the proper 1/4 inch seam allowance when I go to sew rows together.   And I'll hate myself if I don't do it right. 

So now I'll be ripping out this chicken scratch.   Then I'll see if I can save the other pieces I haven't cut apart yet because they are a little longer but the piece is frayed a little on each end.   Boohoo.   It takes a long time to embroider one of these strips and a lot of white embroidery thread which is running low and I need sashing enough for 42 blocks.   I also get bored after doing the chicken scratch embroidery for two or three pieces of sashing. 

So I guess I need to buy more white embroidery thread and get busy.   I'll take it as one of my hand work projects next week when we have a family reunion camp out.   


You may not see this quilt again for awhile!


Saturday, July 29, 2017

Thursday, July 27, 2017

A New Top! Peacock Fans

 Peacock Fans
It's a Top
Twin bed sized
It's in the hand quilting pile now awaiting a backing and time to quilt (and cooler weather). 


I'll probably quilt around the peacock fans and then around the peacocks and "flowers"  in each square.  

I even tried mitered borders!  and think I got it right after two tries. 
I was afraid to cut the extra fabric away.  
I'll wait until I'm ready to sandwich it.  Just to be sure...